Little, romantic, delicious Individual Beef Wellingtons with asparagus. YUM.
Last night, between sips of wine, my Asphalt Green BPC students pulled together a wonderful compilation of Chateaubriand/Duxelle/Mousse and Pastry better known as Wellington. Here are our results and below is our working recipe. Please know that the directions are geared for people with basic cooking skills – if you want a more detailed instruction list, please comment below and I’ll send you the deets!
INDIVIDUAL BEEF WELLINGTONS
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
|Fillet Mignons||4 2” thick steaks|
|Olive oil||3 tablespoons|
|Kosher or sea salt||To taste|
|Black pepper||To taste|
|Mushrooms (crimini or button)||15 small-medium, minced|
|Garlic clove||1 minced|
|Unsalted Butter||3 tablespoons per person|
|Shallots||1 medium or 2 small, minced|
|All purpose flour||¾ cups|
|Fois Gras (or Duck liver Mousse)||4 tablespoons|
|French Spicy Mustard||2 tablespoons|
|Sherry or Tawny Port||2 tablespoons per person|
|Puff Pastry||2 sheets per person|
|Egg wash||2 eggs beaten with water|
EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR RECIPE:
|Aluminum Foil||Chef knife||Boning knife|
|Baking Sheet||Sauté Pan||Pastry Brush|
|Sauce pot/pan||Small cookie cutters (optional)|
- Preheat Oven to 400 F
- Prepare Filet and divide into portions – Dry off and set aside to come to room temp.
- Make the mushroom duxelle (chop shallots, garlic and mushrooms) then sauté in a pan until mushrooms are soft and dry) – deglaze with sherry or port…reduce again until mushrooms are soft and “dry”.
- Season – and sear beef in sauté pan.
- Roll out pastry dough – moving as fast as possible – shape into a circle and cut off corners of circle (save scraps) to shape the pastry into a thick cross shaped piece.
- Assemble Wellingtons: Quickly dry off beef with a paper towel and place in middle of pastry cross. Brush with mustard, then layer on fois gras, then a tablespoon of duxelle. Brush ends of pastry with egg wash, then wrap the beef with the pastry, pressing the seams together. Glaze top with egg wash, decorate with leftover pastry dough if you like.
- Place in Freezer for 15 minutes to re-set pastry dough
- Bake in 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and continue baking until puff pastry has risen and is golden brown. Check temp of beef – should be around 125 for rare.
- Remove from oven and let rest.