My ritual in the morning, probably like most, is to wake up with a huge latte. I need something to wash down my caffeine, so today I think I’ll make Madeleines; easy and delicious. My daughter is as picky as they come and this is one treat that she eats without a fight – she prefers these to chocolate chip cookies and ice cream, if you can believe it.
This recipe, thanks to Martha Stewart, is my favorite and works every time. For some variety, add chocolate chips, lavender or honey.
Vanilla Madeleines (thanks to MarthaStewart.com)
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours 40 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted, plus more, softened, for pans
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and granulated and brown sugars with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Sift flour mixture over top in 2 additions, folding in after each addition. Fold in melted butter in 2 additions, then honey and vanilla. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Let batter stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Generously butter 2 standard-size or 2 mini nonstick or aluminum madeleine pans using a pastry brush.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag, and snip tip to create a 1/2-inch opening. Pipe some batter into molds, filling each about three-quarters full. Bake on middle rack until pale gold, 8 to 11 minutes (6 to 8 minutes for mini madeleines). Immediately shake madeleines out. Wash and rebutter molds. Repeat with remaining batter. Dust baked madeleines with confectioners’ sugar.
Madeleine batter can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Madeleines are best the day they are made, but they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.